Legality Status of Thomas Roell's X11R4 server

Thomas Hoberg tmh at bigfoot.FOKUS.GMD.DBP.DE
Sat Dec 15 10:18:54 AEST 1990

Thomas Roell writes:

|> Ok, this is my very LAST PD PROJECT. There will be just one new release
|> including the XView 2.0 toolkit. Thenafter I'll write software only
for cash.

Oh my God! Look what you have done! I don't want someone like Thomas going off
the PD track! Ok, idealism doen't get beans on the table, but it certainly
makes live easier for those who have no beans to spend. Perhaps someone with
a little money left over should send a tax deductible donation to Thomas. After
all I heard some nice hardware would do, too. Perhaps Headland should send him
an 8514 and TI a 34020 board. After all a PD X-Server for those should spur
their hardware sales. There is a wounderful new RAMDAC available for VGA's
from AMD that does antialiasing in hardware (more colors, too?). Only a public
domain X-Server makes adding support for that chip feasable for people like me,
who cannot invest months of time battleing VT-switching and other gritty
details of ISC's Unix. I am doing a port of the X11R4 server to a multi media
workstation based on a couple of dedicated processors (among them a C-Cube and
a TI 34020). I have relied heavily on tools like GCC for cross compiling.
Without PD tools like them, it simply could not have been done. The
'commercial'' compilers and linkers weren't worth the floppies they came on.
Lets not treat those GNU idealists like this, they are doing a service for
(almost?) all of us and they deserve our support rather than legal battles.
Let's fight software patents, they are 'Berufsverbote' (meaning you are not
allowed to do your job) for programmers.

 :-((( tom
----
Thomas M. Hoberg   | UUCP: tmh at prosun.first.gmd.de  or  tmh%gmdtub at tub.UUCP
c/o GMD Berlin     |       ...!unido!tub!gmdtub!tmh (Europe) or
D-1000 Berlin 12   |       ...!unido!tub!tmh
Hardenbergplatz 2  |       ...!pyramid!tub!tmh (World)
Germany            | BITNET: tmh%DB0TUI6.BITNET at DB0TUI11 or
+49-30-254 99 160  |         tmh at tub.BITNET