1024 cylinder limit for MFM drives?

Chuck Murcko cmurcko at gvlf8-g.GVL.Unisys.COM
Sat Dec 15 09:43:04 AEST 1990

In article <1600 at ulowell.ulowell.edu>, mschedlb at hawk.ulowell.edu (Martin J. Schedlbauer) writes:
|> In article <276472BB.15476 at ics.uci.edu> baxter at zola.ics.uci.edu (Ira Baxter) writes:
|> >I have an MFM Maxtor 2190 drive with 1224 cylinders.  I naturaly want to
|> >use all 1224 cylinders.   I am (technically cheating, but it works
|> >reliably) using an RLL WD1006SRV2 controller, and set the drive type
|> >to 1, and the cylinder count to 1224.  The ISC ADDHARDDISK script
|> >notices the 1224 cylinders, and truncates it back to 1024 with
|> >some cryptic remark about BIOS limitations.
|> >
|> >Is there no way around this?  How do ESDI, SCSI drives handle this?
|> >[I assume the "BIOS" limitations for such drives isn't present].
|>
|> BIOS can't handle more than 1024 cylinders. You'll need a controller
|> that does sector translation. This is what is typically done for ESDI
|> drives, as they still have the same limitations. ESDI or ST506/MFM/RLL
|> makes no difference to BIOS.

It's my understanding that the 1024 cylinder limit exists in the ROM BIOS,
which, because it's not reentrant, is of little or no use to Unices. Does
this mean that ISC uses a similar setup in their partitioning software?
My experience with ESIX is that >1024 cylinders is supported. I have 1224 and
1560 cylinder partitions on my disks, WD1007SE, no translation.

Chuck