CLOSED TCP connection in Interactive 2.2

Tim Wright tim at delluk.uucp
Thu Dec 13 23:22:10 AEST 1990

In <1990Dec11.203017.7862 at mks.com> eric at mks.com (Eric Gisin) writes:

>We frequently get CLOSED TCP connections in Interactive UNIX 2.2.
>For example,
>tcp        0      0  femto.login            mks.1021               CLOSED
>is the result of a dead rlogin from mks to femto.
>Once such a connection exists, it does not go away.
>And if 1021 is the next available reserved port on mks,
>"rlogin femto" will fail with "Connection timed out".
>You can work around this by running two rlogins, the second will work.
>It also happens with rsh, which is more serious for us because we
>use rsh to do backups over the net.

>Do others encounter this bug? I think 2.0 had this bug, and the 2.2.1
>summary doesn't mention this bug being fixed. Is there any way to kill this
>CLOSED connection without rebooting?

Yes I've seen this. If a PC is telnetted in to the system and is switched
off, the telnetd on the host side does not die. The annoying part is that
this *did* work with 1.1.2. I don't know what's broken, KEEPALIVE code ?
TCP timers ?. Somebody running SCO UNIX told me that they have the same
problem with TCP/IP there. Can anybody (Lachman ?) comment ?

Tim
--
Tim Wright, Dell Computer Corp. (UK) | Email address
Bracknell, Berkshire, RG12 1RW       | Domain: tim at dell.co.uk
Tel: +44-344-860456                  | Uucp: ...!ukc!delluk!tim
"What's the problem? You've got an IQ of six thousand, haven't you?"