CLOSED TCP connection in Interactive 2.2

Eric Gisin eric at mks.com
Wed Dec 12 07:30:17 AEST 1990

We frequently get CLOSED TCP connections in Interactive UNIX 2.2.
For example,
tcp        0      0  femto.login            mks.1021               CLOSED
is the result of a dead rlogin from mks to femto.
Once such a connection exists, it does not go away.
And if 1021 is the next available reserved port on mks,
"rlogin femto" will fail with "Connection timed out".
You can work around this by running two rlogins, the second will work.
It also happens with rsh, which is more serious for us because we
use rsh to do backups over the net.

Do others encounter this bug? I think 2.0 had this bug, and the 2.2.1
summary doesn't mention this bug being fixed. Is there any way to kill this
CLOSED connection without rebooting?