SCO doesn't sell UNIX

Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR allbery at NCoast.ORG
Fri Dec 14 15:24:03 AEST 1990

As quoted from <2341 at tabbs.UUCP> by aris at tabbs.UUCP (Aris Stathakis):
+---------------
| Ya, I don't like it either, but I can live with it.  If we like it or not,
| we're going to have to live with a more secure UNIX.  End users will be
| demanding it, and we'll have to provide it.  Maybe not now, but 2 years
| down the line I think all UNIX systems will have a C2 or better
| security rating.
+---------------

Beg pardon, but I just read an article recently (in VARBUSINESS) about how C2
may be great for the government, but its security features aren't the same as
the security features wanted by most businesses.  Consider that the Orange
Book sets out a security scheme that is ultimately intended to block security
leaks by highly-placed spies....

...whereas if I wanted to make the SVR3.1 system at work secure from prying
outsiders, I could do so without C2.  Although I do admit that group vectors
help a lot.  But group vectors aren't the problem with C2.

++Brandon
--
Me: Brandon S. Allbery			    VHF/UHF: KB8JRR on 220, 2m, 440
Internet: allbery at NCoast.ORG		    Packet: KB8JRR @ WA8BXN