SCO doesn't sell UNIX

Bill Campbell bill at camco.Celestial.COM
Tue Dec 11 07:47:50 AEST 1990

In <275A9A50.3F3F at tct.uucp> chip at tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) writes:

>According to allbery at ncoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR):
>>Not this time; SCO Pseudnix is getting bashed by more people than just a few
>>Usenetters.  SCO will get a clue *or* the same thing will happen to them as
>>happened to IBM in the PC market:  they will be bought only by hard-cores
>>(like Chip is stuck with) while the rest of the market switches to something
>>else.

>An eloquent description of my current situation, and my expectations.

>Wake up, SCO, and smell the coffee.  We developers don't like SCO
>UNIX-flavored C2 Operating System.  When we are given the chance,
>we'll buy something else.  How long can you last without third-party
>development?
>--
>Chip Salzenberg at Teltronics/TCT     <chip at tct.uucp>, <uunet!pdn!tct!chip>
>      "I'm really sorry I feel this need to insult some people..."
>            -- John F. Haugh II    (He thinks HE'S sorry?)

I agree totally whih Chip here.  There are a number of good
things I have heard about SCO UNIX, and two consistently
abominable, C2 security and outdated MMDF.

I've been using Xenix is its various flavors since 1982 and like
it a lot.  One of the basic design goals under Xenix has been
compatibility with older versions which means they cannot muck
with directory locations and options to commands the way AT&T
has.  This has meant that I didn't have to go back and change all
my old scripts/programs with each new release of Xenix because some
well-meaning idiot changed 'grep -y' to 'grep -i' because it made
more sense that way (non of it makes sense without TFM anyway).

I would love to see SCO UNIX available, not with 'relaxed' C2
security, but with NO C2 security.  Shadow passwords are probably
a good idea, but unnecessary if you use good passwords in the
first place (not your spouse's name, birthday...).  Most security
problems are caused by lazy, incompetent system administrators,
not by the operating system.
--
INTERNET:  bill at Celestial.COM   Bill Campbell; Celestial Software
UUCP:   ...!thebes!camco!bill   6641 East Mercer Way