unattended cpio backup script

Bill Heiser bill at unixland.uucp
Sun Dec 16 01:47:56 AEST 1990

>In article <28789 at usc> mcitron at phad.hsc.usc.edu (Mark Citron) writes:
>|
>| find . -print | cpio -ocvB -K149000 > /dev/rct0 2> /usr/lbin/cpioback.log
>|
>| Do I have this backup script correct? Anything you would add?

I do ours a little differently -- I do a find piped to cpio like you do
(but haven't used -K, I'll have to check on that one) -- but instead of
directing verbose output to a logfile, I don't use -v.  Instead, once
the tape has been written, I rewind it and read it back, creating a journal
file at that time.  This way I get a journal file AND verify that I can
at least read through the tape (although I don't think this actually
verifies that I can restore any specific file, but I've never had that
kind of problem).

--
home:	...!{uunet,bloom-beacon,esegue}!world!unixland!bill
	bill at unixland.uucp,  bill%unixland.uucp at world.std.com
	Public Access Unix - Esix SYSVR3 - 508-655-3848 12/24/96-HST
					   508-651-8733 12/24/96-PEP/V32