unattended cpio backup script

Wm E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at sixhub.UUCP
Fri Dec 14 03:01:59 AEST 1990

In article <28789 at usc> mcitron at phad.hsc.usc.edu (Mark Citron) writes:

| tape drive - it seems to hang often with tar). I was planning to use:
|
| find . -print | cpio -ocvB -K149000 > /dev/rct0 2> /usr/lbin/cpioback.log
|
| which will be started by crontab and which will produce a log of the
| backup that went on the night before.
| I can then peruse the log the next day and make sure everything went OK
| (or write a script to do that for me, daily).
|
| Do I have this backup script correct? Anything you would add?

  Almost. You very much want the 'a' option on cpio whenever you do a
backup, so you don't reset the access time. The true (user) access time
is useful when you want to find files which haven't been accessed for N
months and use them as candidates for the bit bucket or archiving.
--
bill davidsen - davidsen at sixhub.uucp (uunet!crdgw1!sixhub!davidsen)
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX