SCO's C2 came to the rescue!!!

Riccardo Pizzi pizzi at esacs.UUCP
Tue Dec 11 19:51:36 AEST 1990

#include <std/disclaimer.h>

In article <36 at unigold.UUCP> lance at unigold.UUCP (Lance Ellinghouse) writes:

>I am sick and tired of hearing everyone say SCO's C2
>is not worth anything... Here is an example of someplace
>it *DID* help...

Let's see...

>At one of my jobs, we have SCO ODT installed (full server
>version and stuff)..
>One day I tried to call in from home and found the terminal
>line Disabled by the C2 security.. This seemed odd..
>So I looked into it and then enabled it again.
>Over the next week or two, we had the line locked/disabled
>by C2 every couple days... Finnaly it stopped for no reason.
>Thus we concluded that someone was TRYING to break in to our
>system but gave up after being locked out after a few tries
>each day...

We have several machines with sCO UNIX 3.2.0 installed.
Once every 4-5 days happens that some terminal gets disabled without
apparent reason, this on all the machines we have.
Fortunately, the new release (3.2.2) seems to have less problems than
the previous one, as this nasty behaviour doesn't show up.

>We are THANKFUL that SCO *DID* Have C2 in the system or that
>person may have actually GOTTEN in!!

Bullshit! In fact, if you set reasonably safe passwords on *all*
accounts on the machine, nobody will be able to break your system.
C2 is not necessary for this, it only puts in additional troubles.
Maybe it could be useful to enhance the shell environment security.

Rick
--
Riccardo Pizzi @ ESA Software, Rimini, ITALY
e-mail: pizzi%esacs at relay.EU.net -or- root at xtc.sublink.org
Public Access Unix @ +39-541-27858 (Telebit)
<< Object Oriented is an Opaque Disease >>