SCO doesn't sell UNIX

Gordon C. Galligher gorpong at ping.uucp
Sun Dec 9 20:43:37 AEST 1990

In article <1990Dec07.201729.29771 at digibd.com> rhealey at digibd.com (Rob Healey) writes:
>In article <1990Dec3.044437.21678 at ping.uucp> gorpong at ping.uucp (Gordon C. Galligher) writes:
>>You have obviously not used Shell Layers.  If you use shell layers and create
>>a sub-shell and then execute 'stty intr \^c' it kills the shell.  If you
>>forget that '^' is a synonym for ';' in SH, and you execute 'stty intr ^c'
>>it REBOOTS THE MACHINE!
>
>	Shell: /bin/sh
>	Machine: NEC Powermate 386/20 4M memory.
>	OS: SCO UNIX 3.2v2.0
			^^^^

>	I just did EXACTLY what Mr. Galligher suggested above and got
>	nothing more than file not found because I didn't have a
>	program called c in my path. I would say something in Mr.
>	Galligher's setup is messed up, not shell layers or SCO UNIX per say.

As someone already pointed out, this bug was fixed in ODT and/or SCO 3.2.2,
whereas I am running 3.2.0.  I did NOT make this clear, and this could
lead to some confusion.  If you get to a system with 3.2.0 and do what
I said, you will most assuredly reboot your machine.  I have mkdev shl
no less than five times, and nothing changes.  I also do 'tty' and it
tells me 'not a tty.'

>	Maybe some more research should have been done before declaring
>	SCO UNIX guilty... As an aside, I prefer POSIX job control
>	under ksh88 to sh under shl but both work JUST FINE on my
>	box.

The version I have does NOT have job control, therefore shl is the only
thing I have.  Granted, I should have made it more clear that I was
running 3.2.0, but assuming that 3.2.2 is the ONLY unix SCO distributed
is just plain wrong.

		-- Gordon.
--
Gordon C. Galligher	9127 Potter Rd. #2E	Des Plaines, IL    60016-4881
			gorpong at ping.chi.il.us
			gorpong%ping at uu.psi.com
			...!uu.psi.com!ping!gorpong