Wangtek QIC tape drives

Colonel Panic aland at informix.com
Thu Dec 13 13:58:14 AEST 1990

In article <1990Dec11.055408.21520 at metro.ucc.su.OZ.AU> dawes at suphys.physics.su.OZ.AU (David Dawes) writes:
>I recently bought a Wangtek 5125EN tape drive and PC-36 controller.  The
>drive is supposedly a 60MB unit.  The documentation that came with it seems
>to be somewhat out of date, and looks like it would be more applicable to
>a 5099EN drive.  The controller documentation also doesn't match the

The 5125EN is a QIC-120 drive; the AT&T 120/125 MB Streaming Tape Unit
that they sell with the 6386s uses this drive with a 30850-412
controller (don't know what PC-36 means).

>With the drive and controller setting at their defaults, I am able to
>write and read DC600A tapes.  I can't read these tapes back on a 5099
>drive (or any other QIC-24 drive), but I can read them on our QIC-150
>drives (Archive drives running on Suns).  I can write DC300XL/P tapes,

Makes sense.  Many QIC-150 can read (but not write) QIC-120 tapes.

--
Alan Denney      aland at informix.com      {pyramid|uunet}!infmx!aland

"When will Apple get socially responsible and offer separate trash can
 icons for glass, aluminum, and paper?"
  - Lincoln Spector