UNIX System V

Gary Heston gary at sci34hub.UUCP
Thu Nov 29 04:21:10 AEST 1990

In article <4350 at sactoh0.SAC.CA.US> cen at sactoh0.SAC.CA.US (Charles E. Newman) writes:
>    A friend of mine may be able to get AT&T UNIX system V at a
>discount for me. In other words, I may be able to get it at a
>discount. What kind of processor and how much memory do I need to
>run AT&T UNIX System V. Can I get away with running on a 8086 or
>80286 machine. An 80386 motherboard is too outraegeously expensive,
>about $2000, which is too much money. How much hard disk space do I
>need. I currently have a 20MB hard disk and average about 8 to 12
>megabytes free at any one time.

Why didn't you ask your friend about the hardware requirements, since
he/she is obviously working at AT&T or a distributor, and would have
all this info?

You'd have to have a 386, which I've seen for lots less than $2K.

You'd need a minimum of 4MB, unless you want to run X-windows and
networking, in which case you might get by with 8MB but really need
16MB.

A 64MB hard drive is marginal, it'll fill up pretty fast, especially
if you try to install any Gnu software (good stuff, just takes room),
news, different mailers, and such. AT&T SysV/386 won't fit on a 20MB
drive and leave you any free space.

--
Gary Heston System Mismanager and technoflunky uunet!sci34hub!gary or
My opinions, not theirs.  SCI Systems, Inc.     gary at sci34hub.sci.com
  The sysadmin sees all, knows all, and doesn't tell the boss who's
  updating their resumes....  This .sig Copyright G. L. Heston, 1990