TCP/IP under ISC

Karl Denninger karl at naitc.naitc.com
Wed Nov 21 07:11:33 AEST 1990

In article <12431 at uudell.dell.com> mjhammel at Kepler.dell.com (Michael J. Hammel) writes:
>In article <1990Nov18.173628.21839 at maverick.ksu.ksu.edu>,
>rrsum at matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Rick Summerhill) writes:
>> I currently have a standard 386 clone machine running ISC v2.02.
>> I also have the X window system package, but not the TCP/IP package.
>>
>> When I called ISC to see how much it would cost me to purchase TCP/IP,
>> I was told they are only selling one for v2.2, not v2.02.  Moreover,
>> they didn't know if the current TCP/IP would work with v2.02.  Anyone
>> out there know if it does?  It is very expensive, also.  $495 compared
>> to the complete ESIX system for $825.  If one must update to v2.2,
>> then it is even more costly!  Recommendations?  I'm actually trying
>> to wait till SysVR4 before investing a great deal more in my system.
>>
>The TCP/IP I have for 2.0.2 is TCP/IP 1.1.2.  The latest version is
>TCP/IP 1.2 (I think).  1.2 works fairly well, but its not completely
>compatible with other TCP/IP implementations.  Specifically, it doesn't
>seem too happy with System V.4 TCP/IP or SunOS 4.0.  Telnet's from the
>V.4 to a 1.2 system won't complete (they hang).  Rlogin's require the -8
>option in order to not get things confused when using vi.  There are
>some other things.  Basically, I've decided 1.1.2 is more compatible in
>a heterogenous network.

Which is interesting, since we have something like a half-dozen ISC
workstations (one on my desk, another being our gateway) and I telnet all
the time to/from Suns and it works just fine.

These ALL run 2.2 ISC with the latest TCP/IP.  No tribble at all.

Perhaps you need to look at things like the broadcast address and subnet
bits.... or other similar, minor details.

Ditto for MIPS systems, PCs running B&WNFS, and more.

The new TCP fixes 95% of the problems with interfaces going to sleep on you;
this is a MAJOR improvement.  The new NFS is also nearly 100% complient with
Sun's idea of NFS, this is also a major improvement, and it's much faster.

Go with the good stuff.

--
Karl Denninger	AC Nielsen
kdenning at ksun.naitc.com
(708) 317-3285
Disclaimer:  Contents represent opinions of the author; I do not speak for
	     AC Nielsen on Usenet.