TCP/IP under ISC

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at Kepler.dell.com
Tue Nov 20 08:02:09 AEST 1990

In article <1990Nov18.173628.21839 at maverick.ksu.ksu.edu>,
rrsum at matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Rick Summerhill) writes:
> I currently have a standard 386 clone machine running ISC v2.02.
> I also have the X window system package, but not the TCP/IP package.
>
> When I called ISC to see how much it would cost me to purchase TCP/IP,
> I was told they are only selling one for v2.2, not v2.02.  Moreover,
> they didn't know if the current TCP/IP would work with v2.02.  Anyone
> out there know if it does?  It is very expensive, also.  $495 compared
> to the complete ESIX system for $825.  If one must update to v2.2,
> then it is even more costly!  Recommendations?  I'm actually trying
> to wait till SysVR4 before investing a great deal more in my system.

The TCP/IP I have for 2.0.2 is TCP/IP 1.1.2.  The latest version is
TCP/IP 1.2 (I think).  1.2 works fairly well, but its not completely
compatible with other TCP/IP implementations.  Specifically, it doesn't
seem too happy with System V.4 TCP/IP or SunOS 4.0.  Telnet's from the
V.4 to a 1.2 system won't complete (they hang).  Rlogin's require the -8
option in order to not get things confused when using vi.  There are
some other things.  Basically, I've decided 1.1.2 is more compatible in
a heterogenous network.

The 1.2 (whats probably being sold with ISC UNIX 2.2) works fairly well
with the 1.1.2 (what was sold with the ISC UNIX 2.0.2).  It also appears
to work fairly well with NCSA Telnet 2.2TN for PC's.

Recommendation: if you're going to deal only with ISC-based systems then
1.1.2/1.2 systems should work ok, but if you plan to begin meshing in
various flavors of TCP/IP from several vendors I'd use only 1.1.2 (if
you can get it).

Michael J. Hammel        | mjhammel@{Kepler|socrates}.dell.com
Dell Computer Corp.      | {73377.3467|76424.3024}@compuserve.com
#include <disclaim/std>  | zzham at ttuvm1.bitnet | uunet!uudell!feynman!mjhammel