inbound news is suddenly failing

Eric Schnoebelen eric at egsner.cirr.com
Thu Nov 8 02:52:27 AEST 1990

In article <1990Nov7.041739.18690 at unixland.uucp>
		bill at unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:
- I know this was discussed not too long ago, but I don't have the
- resources to archive old news (so the articles have been expired).
-
- Yesterday my inbound news started failing (CNEWS).  My logfile is
- filling up with the following messages:
-
- relaynews: error writing `/usr/lib/news/history', probably the disk filled (File too large)
- relaynews: error closing history file

        I would suspect that you are running up against the ULIMIT..
How big is the history file, and what is your ULIMIT set to?

        I suspect that you haven't changed ULIMIT from the default (of
about 1.2Mb), and that your history file just hit that point.  Check the
FAQ to find out how to up your system wide ULIMIT.

        I have been running C news for over a year on ISC 2.0.2, and
several months before that on Microport System V/AT, and have never seen
the problem.

- Is this just a matter of tweaking the spacefor file?

        Spacefor may need tweaking, but that is not the cause here.  The
cause is that relaynews got an error condition back from writing a
history record...

        If you have any other questions about C news on ISC 2.0.2 (or
2.2 for that matter), feel free to contact me..
Eric Schnoebelen		eric at cirr.com		schnoebe at convex.com
	There's no trick to being a humorist when you have the whole
		government working for you.  -- Will Rodgers