Developing/Production with GNU. Question: IS IT RELIABLE?

John R. Levine johnl at iecc.cambridge.ma.us
Tue Nov 6 02:17:20 AEST 1990

In article <15 at ACT.UUCP> bruce at ACT.UUCP (Bruce Himebaugh) writes:
>Our company has been looking for a good C compiler for a long time (i.e.
>preferably ANSI compliant).

Over the past year, I've been involved in the development of several
commercial packages for Sys V 386 systems as well as all three flavors of
Suns.  In every case, we used GCC as the compiler.  It is as far as I can
tell as reliable as the vendor compilers and usually generates better code.
It also has the large advantage of being the same compiler on every platform,
thereby avoiding many grotty portability nits.

There were occasional bugs, but no more than in a commercial compiler.  GCC
of course has the advantage that if a bug really bothers you, you have the
source to the compiler and can fix it yourself.

Interactive distributes the LPI C compiler (sometimes confusingly called
New C) but I haven't tried it.

--
John R. Levine, IECC, POB 349, Cambridge MA 02238, +1 617 864 9650
johnl at iecc.cambridge.ma.us, {ima|spdcc|world}!esegue!johnl