SCO's V.4 plans <was: ^3 What ....... Dell UNIX V.4>

Rob Healey rhealey at digibd.com
Fri Nov 30 07:43:18 AEST 1990

In article <1990Nov26.194751.24747 at ico.isc.com> rcd at ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) writes:
>> 	As I recall from an SCO presentation at our user group last December,
>> their stated inclination is to enhance 3.2 with those components or features
>> from V.4 most in demand...
>Interesting idea, but could someone explain how this works without giving
>you a result which is neither fish nor fowl?  The best example I know of is
>long file names in a BSD-like file system; it may well be the single most-
>often-requested BSD feature.  But if you create a modified file system with
>long file names, it's *going* to be incompatible, no getting around it.  At
>that point, you're no longer a V.3.2 system, period.  How do you do this?
>Anyone from SCO, or who's heard what SCO claims, want to explain this?

	Might create a BSD file system like ESIX has done. Might not
	be the cleanest solution but it would allow for longer file
	names amongs other things.

	This seems like a fairly obvious answer considering the FSS.
	Why won't this idea work? I'm sure ESIX would love to know...

		-Rob

Speaking for self, not company.