TCP/NFS

Frank Elsner elsn4000 at mailgzrz.tu-berlin.de
Fri Nov 23 17:51:21 AEST 1990

In article <532 at comcon.UUCP> tim at comcon.UUCP (Tim Brown) writes:
>What it is doing now is pci complains about not being able to find my
>hostname in /etc/hosts (tho it is there) and the lockd complains about
>something similiar to do with the hostname being wrong.  Now the
>really weird part, if I telnet to one of the other hosts (a 6000)
>using the *internet* address it works but if I try to do it using the
>hostname, it hangs.  Ditto for ping.  If I ping another host using the
I would guess the problem is the Domain Name Service (DNS). Its usage is
activated by the file /etc/resolv.conf. If this file contains the one and
only line "nonameserver" you may run into the problems described.
File resolv.conf should contain on the first line the domain you're in and
in subsequent lines the IP addresses of the NameServers to ask.

My /etc/resolv.conf reads:
                            domain zrz.tu-berlin.de
                            nameserver 130.149.4.10
                            nameserver 130.149.5.4