TCP/NFS

Tim Brown tim at comcon.UUCP
Tue Nov 20 17:48:48 AEST 1990

Platform:
	ISC2.2 12M RAM
	TCP, NFS, X(ISC's)
	WD8003

I have a strange problem.  I recently installed nfs on (prior to this)
a pretty stable system.  Right after nfs was installed all was well
for a day or two then for no reason I can discern, it started acting
weird.  I will describe the symptoms, but note: the system *was*
functioning perfectly, all features were working well.  Telnet worked,
so did X, so did PCI and so did nfs.

What it is doing now is pci complains about not being able to find my
hostname in /etc/hosts (tho it is there) and the lockd complains about
something similiar to do with the hostname being wrong.  Now the
really weird part, if I telnet to one of the other hosts (a 6000)
using the *internet* address it works but if I try to do it using the
hostname, it hangs.  Ditto for ping.  If I ping another host using the
hostname it hangs, but using the internet address it works.  I haven't
a clue here because right after I installed nfs and tested everything
I sucessfully mounted filesystems from the other host, mailed messages
and could telnet in both directions.

If I telnet from the other host all is ok even now.

Hostname returns the correct hostname.

Any ideas?

--
Tim Brown            |