JUMBO tape driver

Jay Ts jay at metran.UUCP
Sun Nov 18 18:53:25 AEST 1990

In article <1990Nov16.225628.1025 at eng.ufl.edu>, jc at joker.mil.ufl.edu writes:
> In article <30PPs1w161w at nstar.UUCP> ajp at nstar.UUCP (Andy Paluch) writes:
> >Does anyone know where I can drivers for a floppy based
> >QIC-40 tape drive (Colorado Memory Sys) for use on a
> >ISC 386/ix system? Thanks!

Colorado is still debugging their driver for ISC 386/ix.  I just tried
installing a Jumbo tape unit in a 386/ix 2.2 system last week, using their
2.38 revision driver.  My information is that that's the first revision
that's even *supposed* to work with 386/ix.

Well, it didn't work for us!  We ended up having to reinstall the OS *twice*
due to bugs in their driver's installation package.  The guy I was working
with suspects that the driver may corrupt system files, but we're not really
sure of that.  The major problem we had was that after trying to install
the driver, and finding it not working properly, we tried to reinstall it
(after removing it first) and the install program core dumped.  It was very
nasty; the only way we could try to use the tape unit from that point was
to completely reinstall the OS and then the tape driver, hoping that it
would work.  We finally gave up, and are trying to get a refund for the unit.

Before anyone gets the idea that I am trying to flame Colorado Memory Systems,
let me state clearly and definitively that I think that THEIR TECHNICAL
SUPPORT DEPARTMENT IS DOING AN INCREDIBLY GOOD JOB!!!!  Not only do they have
a toll-free number, but they are also responsive and technically competant!
When they have new versions of their driver SW, they will send them out
free upon request.

This was the first time a tech support person actually called me to apologize
that they did not have a solution right now.  Usually, a company in their
position (in my experience) will become evasive and try as hard as possible
to not say something like that to a customer, especially when it is true :-).

BTW, I should also mention that my client was sold the Jumbo drive before
CO Mem. Sys. was even trying to support it on UNIX, so it's not like they
were trying to put one over on a customer (but I'm not so sure about the
reseller...).  Quite on the contrary, CMS seemed to be happy to talk to
someone out in the field trying to use their new SW, and apologetic when
they couldn't help.  In addition, they helped us in our quest for a refund
by calling the reseller and authorizing a return from him!

> You can either try your dealer if you just bought your drive, or call
> CMS sales/support directly (800-432-5858) and they'll refer you.

Talk to CMS directly; I'm sure they will be happy to send you their latest
driver version for you to try out.  But at least wait for rev. 2.39, OK?

Oh, one more thing.  CMS seems to have much more confidence in their "jumperless
controller card" than the floppy controller.  It's (I think) $125 extra, but
probably worth it.

				Jay Ts
				uunet!pdn!tscs!metran!jay