UNIX System V

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.uucp
Mon Nov 26 11:54:03 AEST 1990

In article <4350 at sactoh0.SAC.CA.US> cen at sactoh0.SAC.CA.US (Charles E. Newman) writes:
>What kind of processor and how much memory do I need to
>run AT&T UNIX System V. Can I get away with running on a 8086 or
>80286 machine.

No. You need a 386. (Although if you want to run UNIX on a 286, you can
use Xenix or Microport SV/AT - NOTE that I do not recommend this.  I have
been working with 8086, 80286, and 80386+ UNIXs and it wasn't until the
80386 version that pc-UNIX became a reality).

> An 80386 motherboard is too outraegeously expensive, about $2000

I don't know where you are getting your pricing from, but you can get a 33MHZ
386 motherboard in the 1200-1500 range.  Lower for 20 or 25 MHZ.  As far
as power is concerned, we ran a system with 4 developers on a 16MHZ 386
and 2 90MB RLL drives for around a year.  Performance was very good (although
now we have gotten used to our 33MHZ system with caching ESDI controller).

>How much hard disk space do I
>need. I currently have a 20MB hard disk and average about 8 to 12
>megabytes free at any one time.

The amount of disk space varies, but you certainly don't have enough.  To
install the full UNIX package including all the extensions you need around
100MB.

                                                Sterling, VA 22170