ESIX and MCA

John C. Archambeau jca at pnet01.cts.com
Fri Nov 23 09:36:10 AEST 1990

bill at bilver.UUCP (Bill Vermillion) writes:
>Well Coherenet is NOT Unix.   And as far as '286 Unix goes (or Xenix), it's
>a dead issue as far a major vendors are concerned.
>
>I have a site with many '286 machines.  Using Maynard Maynstream tape
>backups.   Wanted to go to the 2.3.2 version of Xenix instead of the 2.2.3.
>Maynard said the decided to support only '386 machines.  When I asked about
>all their old users with '286s I got sort of "Yah, we found that out" and
>"we finally decided to do a driver".  I have been trying for over 3 months
>to get an answer of when.  Now my phone calls don't even get returned.
>
>If you are planning on running Xenix/Unix/*ix in anything less than a '386
>you are looking to have to be able to support yourself.  My Xenix vendor
>even indicated that the Xenix '386 support is hard to get, as it's all
>going Unix '386 on SCO's side.

SCO is supposedly keeping Xenix support alive.  But I don't trust SCO one bit.
Inspite of what SCO is doing to Xenix, given the choice of either Unix or
Xenix, I'd buy Xenix.

>Well, if you want that kind of support maybe you better not think about
>using Unix!  :-)

MicroPort seems to be doing alright in the 286 department, but of course,
that's a moot point if you're running SCO Xenix 286.

There is one thing that does tick me off about uPort though, uPort 286 doesn't
have any sort of networking support.

Maybe I should restate what I'm looking for.  I know that no matter what Unix
vendor you go with, you're going to get the business in the tech support
department.  I want a solid enough Unix that I don't have to go screaming to
tech support every few days or so.

     // JCA

 /*
 ** Flames  : /dev/null                     | Small memory model only for
 ** ARPANET : crash!pnet01!jca at nosc.mil     | Unix?  Get the (*bleep*) out
 ** INTERNET: jca at pnet01.cts.com            | of here!
 ** UUCP    : {nosc ucsd hplabs!hd-sdd}!crash!pnet01!jca