Tar Tape problems

Bill Vermillion bill at bilver.uucp
Fri Nov 30 13:33:50 AEST 1990

In article <124 at chansw.UUCP> chan at chansw.UUCP (Jerry H. Chan) writes:

>Anyways, to put pressure on Archive to fix the driver, call Archive Corp.
>at 800-537-2724 and ask for tech support, OR call GREG at 407-263-3538 (FL).
>Greg told me that there are no current plans to fix this "supposed" problem,
>but if enough folks call in with the same complaint, they could be
>coerced into looking at it.

Hey. Don't get you hopes up.

We had a local meeting of a rag-tag groups that consist of consultants,
hackers, designers, etc. last night, and this very problem came up.

One person sent back the Archive/Maynard hardware yesterday.  He said the
more he talked to tech support the worse it got.

I am having problem with tape drivers. The new ones are about 1/2 the speed
of the old ones, and they are not writing new drivers for the older '286
Xenix releases - so one site I work at may have to move on to others.
It's going to cost them a few grand as we are using multiple units.

The consensus was that the Maynard/Archive support was some of the worst we
have seen.  It was such  good company at one time.

I was promised that I would get a return phone call with expected release
date.  I call every couple of weeks, leave my name and number, and get
ignored.  We thought we had driver problem in June/July.  They sent us new
disks.  Turned out it's their problem, and they don't seem to give a damn.
I even talked to someone who was either head of tech support or above that
department.  Guess because I don't buy 200-300 drives at a time I don't
count.

Keep us posted.   We are looking into getting different interface cards for
the Teac data cassette drives, and going with some other drivers, if we can
do it.

                      : bill at bilver.UUCP