Tar Tape problems

Richard Harter rh at smds.UUCP
Fri Nov 30 17:53:53 AEST 1990

In article <124 at chansw.UUCP>, chan at chansw.UUCP (Jerry H. Chan) writes:
> In article <1990Nov20.205828.9217 at jadpc.cts.com>, jdeitch at jadpc.cts.com (Jim Deitch) writes:
> > In article <1990Nov19.153249.4308 at wdl1.wdl.fac.com> rme at spl26.spl.fac.com (Richard M Emberson Jr) writes:
> > >I've got a 386 AT clone, ISC2.2, and an Archive drive. After reading four
> > >or five tape (tar -xfv /dev/rmt0) the next attempt to read a tape hangs.
> > >I can kill the process but the device remains busy. The only way I
> > >have found to clear the busy device is to powerdown to the reboot state.

The problem is probably a zombie process that hangs the device.  We have
ESIX rather ISC so the following may or may not work for you.  Touch the
device file (touch /dev/rmt0).  What this does is wake up the zombie so
that it can die.  No guarantees on this, but you might give it a try.
It may take two or three touches to clear the device.

--
Richard Harter, Software Maintenance and Development Systems, Inc.
Net address: jjmhome!smds!rh Phone: 508-369-7398