Sysv/386 and Daylight savings time

Dick Dunn rcd at ico.isc.com
Fri Nov 16 10:04:34 AEST 1990

rwhite at nusdecs.uucp (0257014-Robert White(140)) writes:
...rcd at ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) writes:
> >I've often wished there were an option to keep the CMOS clock on GMT.
> > [various babble]
> Tisk tisk tisk, minus three points for not paying attention...
>
> To keep GMT in you CMOS clock but still get useful dates when
> you log in, do the following:

...games with /etc/TIMEZONE, /etc/default/login, plus a note about cron...

> ...You may want to reset TZ
> for cron in it's startup script to mke you life easier, but other
> than that this is a no-brainer...

Yes, I know you can rig it, but...
Oops, you lose one point; you didn't take care of remote login (which also
doesn't go through /etc/default/login).  It's not entirely a no-brainer,
either (or else my state of no-brain-ness is at a lower level than yours:-),
because I'd probably screw up every time I reset the clock by resetting it
to local time instead of GMT.  Natch, I don't reset the clock that often,
only enough to compensate for drift (but then, that's exactly what would
cause me to screw it up--I wouldn't do it often enough to remember).

[Gripe digression:  Whose &^%$#!! idea was it to use a 1.193182 MHz
oscillator, anyway?!?!?  If they'd chosen a sensible frequency on the AT,
the 8254 could be programmed with a value that wouldn't drift noticeably.]

Your suggestions are good, but I still wish there were a way to wire GMT
into the CMOS clock handling without the timezone games.
--
Dick Dunn     rcd at ico.isc.com -or- ico!rcd       Boulder, CO   (303)449-2870
   Cellular phones: more deadly than marijuana.