Sysv/386 and Daylight savings time

0257014-Robert White140 rwhite at nusdecs.uucp
Thu Nov 15 11:13:14 AEST 1990

In article <1990Nov13.005923.24658 at ico.isc.com> rcd at ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) writes:
>I've often wished there were an option to keep the CMOS clock on GMT.
>Yeah, I know...that would make times look funny in DOS...but I don't use
>DOS, so I don't care.  Seems a pity that the problem arises even tho UNIX
>is perfectly capable of dealing with the DST silliness.

Tisk tisk tisk, minus three points for not paying attention...

To keep GMT in you CMOS clock but still get useful dates when
you log in, do the following:

file /etc/TIMEZONE:

TZ=GMT
export TZ

file /etc/default/login (I think):
TZ=(your favorite time zone here)

When you log in you will have the correct "local" time used for
all dating operations (file stat and such) but the system will
use GMT for system-wide activities.  You may want to reset TZ
for cron in it's startup script to mke you life easier, but other
than that this is a no-brainer.  The system converts in and out
of GMT anyway.  The above just gets it to store the base time as GMT
in the CMOS without worrying about it ever again.

Robert White           |   Not some church, and not the state,
Network Administrator  |      Not some dark capricious fate.
National University    |   Who you are, and when you lose,
crash!nusdecs!rwhite   |      Comes only from the things you chose.
(619) 563-7140 (voice) |                             -- me.