Sysv/386 and Daylight savings time

Greg A. Woods woods at eci386.uucp
Wed Nov 14 15:33:55 AEST 1990

In article <1990Nov13.005923.24658 at ico.isc.com> rcd at ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) writes:
> kherron at ms.uky.edu (Kenneth Herron) writes:
> > My machine (a 386-clone running AT&T sysv/386 3.2.1) handled the
> > time change properly, but after a system reboot it was off by an
> > hour.  Probably this was due to blindly following the battery-backed
> > clock.
>[....]
> Nothing wrong with the configuration.

Well, I'd claim that the "vendor" forgot to put a line in crontab:

	3 * * * *	setclock

At least one system I use does have this feature.  Of course this
method assumes the system clock is more correct, which is true if one
has a network timed, or if one calls WWV regularly.

> I've often wished there were an option to keep the CMOS clock on GMT.
> Yeah, I know...that would make times look funny in DOS...but I don't use
> DOS, so I don't care.  Seems a pity that the problem arises even tho UNIX
> is perfectly capable of dealing with the DST silliness.

Yup, and that would be easier if the vendors of "PC" (i.e. iX86) UNIX
would support a config option to let the system know you have a GMT
hardware clock, not a wall-time one.
--
						Greg A. Woods

woods@{eci386,gate,robohack,ontmoh,tmsoft}.UUCP		ECI and UniForum Canada
+1-416-443-1734 [h]  +1-416-595-5425 [w]    VE3TCP	Toronto, Ontario CANADA