Some questions from novice X11 user on ISC UNIX 386 (long)

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.uucp
Tue Nov 27 23:02:12 AEST 1990

In article <1990Nov25.134746.7474 at nstar.rn.com> larry at nstar (Larry Snyder) writes:
>>	Display
>>	- Sigma Laserview b&w monitor system (1680 * 1200 pixels, ~120 dpi)
>
>I would much rather have a high res large monitor system.
> What size monitor and how much?

The Sigma designs Laserview is a 19" monochrome display.

>>1) X11 and virtual screens
>
>>As it appears to me, X11 is not well integrated with virtual screens (VTs).
>>After starting the X-server and -clients on some VT, I can well switch away
>>from this VT, but switching back doesn't work (the particular VT is dead
>>then) and I have to kill and restart the server and clients.

VTs are documented to not work with the laserview.  Don't use them.  This is
a problem with the laserview server code (possibly because of some hardware
problems) not with X generically.

Anyway why do you need VTs, when you can just pop up another window on you
X display.

                                                Sterling, VA 22170