parameters on CDC Wren IV, Adaptec 1542b

Larry Snyder larry at nstar.uucp
Sun Nov 4 11:49:34 AEST 1990

bill at unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:

>I ran the SCSICNTL.EXE program to examine my CDC Wren IV (hooked up
>to an Adaptec 1542b), and have some questions about the appropriate
>settings.  The system is running Esix Rev D (SYSVR3 Unix).

>Parameters:

>                       Defaults      Current     Options

>Disable Correction     enabled       enabled
>Transfer on error      enabled       enabled
>post error             disabled      disabled
>early error correction disabled      disabled
>read continuous        disabled      disabled
>transfer block         disabled      disabled
>auto read allocation   disabled      disabled
>auto write allocation  disabled      disabled
>retry count               27           27        1-255
>buffer full ratio          4            4        0-255
>buffer empty ratio         4            4        0-255
>[a bunch of stuff about tracks/sectors per zone skipped for now]
>write index enable     disabled      disabled
>cache enable           disabled      disabled

>What are the best settings to have on these parameters in my application?

what you need to do is to change one item at a time - then
bench the system, change another - then bench, etc..

I have cache enabled (made a 10% difference) and changed the
buffer ratios from 4 to 16 (made a + difference on large disk IO,
and - on small; but since most of mine is large - I changed it)..

>Thanks in advance...

>Bill

>--
>home:	...!{uunet,bloom-beacon,esegue}!world!unixland!bill
>	bill at unixland.uucp,  bill%unixland.uucp at world.std.com
>	Public Access Unix  - Esix SYSVR3 - (508) 655-3848
>other:	heiser at world.std.com   Public Access Unix (617) 739-9753
 {larry at nstar, uunet!sco!romed!nstar!larry, nstar%larry at iuvax.cs.indiana.edu}
                     backbone usenet newsfeeds available
         Public Access Unix Site (219) 289-0282 (5 high speed lines)