^3 What ....... Dell UNIX V.4

Dewey Coffman dewey at dell.dell.com
Fri Nov 16 03:34:32 AEST 1990

>	Some of the other people selling V.4 are selling the the 1.0 verison.
>	Dell's verison is 2.0, this has all sorts of enhancements and bug
>	fixes that are not in the 1.0 verison.

>	Dewey Coffman
>	Dell Computer Corp.

->We will ship the 2.0 version very soon and I imagine most SVR4
->vendors will do the same

	That's great, that's a WIN-WIN situation for the end-user.
->
->Does Dell get its SVR4 from AT&T or from another source like Intel or ISC?
->
	From AT&T. We were part of the AT&T beta program and have been
	showing V.4 for over a year. We showed it at Unix 89 where V.4
	was announced and again this year when we announced we were now
	selling it. The V.4 we showed at UNIX International booth in 89'
	was not up to our standards. For the last year, we been getting
	new tapes from AT&T, fixing bugs and adding our own features.

->Does Dell's SVR4 support a wide range of hardware or mostly Dell hardware?

	This is the most asked question, here is the stock reply.

Q: Is Dell SVR4 available for non-Dell hardware?

A: Absolutely!

   We haven't formally tested our product on anything but Dell hardware so far,
   so we're not in a position to effectively support the product on other
   hardware.  Strong customer support is extremely important to us, so we have
   been reluctant to make the product available except with Dell hardware.

   However, we are willing to sell SVR4 to people who are willing to take it "as
   is" for non-Dell hardware, and who will be understanding if it does not
   support their specific hardware.  Our normal return policy would apply in
   these cases with a restocking fee.  Support might be minimal or non-existent,
   depending on the nature of the problems.

->
->Does the complete manual set come with it or a subset?  I know the manuals
->can be very expensive.  If you get the complete set from Prentice Hall, the
->price is around $550 - closer to $600 after taxes.

	We include a getting started guide that covers the differences from
	Stock AT&T V.4 (like X11R4, DOS-merge, SLIP), features that are new
	in V.4 (newvt, sysadm), a migration tutorial from V.3.2, and some
	generic tutorials on UUCP/Printers/Terminals and Modem.
	The Online manual pages are on the tape but are installed separately.
	One of the question mailed into the info at dell.com address has been
	how many floppies etc. Dell Unix V.4 is two boot floppies(3.5"/1.44Meg
	or 5.25"/1.2MEG) and one 150 Meg cartridge tape.

->
->Including compiled public domain programs is a nice idea - did you run into
->any problems, especially with emacs?
->
	That's what we thought.  It's not yet clear how much of what we
	did will be accepted by FSF.  I didn't do emacs; maybe james at bigtex
	can comment on this (I know he spent a lot of time on undump,
	and think he got it to work).  dcm at dell also spent a lot of
	time on ELF for gdb.  We figured, if we spent effort getting
	something to work, we should make it available.  For many
	programs, this required little change; e.g., I was able to
	compile Ghostscript 2.0 with only minor changes to the makefile
	(so the correct libraries would be included).

->
->Richard Ducoty		         		duc at mport.COM
->Microport Inc.		            		uunet!mport!duc

	Dewey Coffman
	Dell Computer Corp
	Austin, Texas
--
	Dewey Coffman
	Dell Computer Corp.
	9505 Arboretum Blvd.		DOMAIN: dewey at dell.com
	Austin, TX 78759-7299 		UUCP: dell!dewey, sooner!dewey