^3 What ....... Dell UNIX V.4

Wm E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at sixhub.UUCP
Wed Nov 28 15:00:32 AEST 1990

In article <1990Nov26.162757.15948 at eci386.uucp> woods at eci386.UUCP (Greg A. Woods) writes:

| (Mind you, I too believe that SysVr4.0 is probably the best ever first
| release of an OS from AT&T.)

  I'll agree with that, and I was surprised. I didn't expect that kind
of reliability at this stage. Even the alpha releases didn't crash, with
all the things which didn't work.

  The question is: is this the best 1st release of any multitasking
(general purpose) o/s ever by anyone? I have seen new major releases
of VMS and IBM systems, GCOS (when it was still sold by GE), etc, and I
don't recall any of them being so solid in terms of the kernel not going down.
--
bill davidsen - davidsen at sixhub.uucp (uunet!crdgw1!sixhub!davidsen)
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX