Xenix *is* Unix (WAS Re: ^3 What ....... Dell UNIX V.4)

Warren Tucker wht at n4hgf.Mt-Park.GA.US
Tue Nov 27 05:02:55 AEST 1990

In article <2390 at sixhub.UUCP> davidsen at sixhub.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>In article <1990Nov23.184635.2568 at nstar.rn.com> larry at nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:
>
>| I disagree.  Xenix is good for installations with limited resources
>| (286, 386sx or 16 mhz 386 with a couple megs of ram and MFM or RLL
>
>  In what way is needing fewer resources a drawback?

Bill, you are so right.  XENIX bashers should realize, IMHO, they
are still playing the cards dealt by IBM when they released the
System III fiasco, surely trying to give *ix a bad name in the
pedestrian market.  SCO XENIX is the most righteous thing going
when you consider:

 o installed base
 o cost
 o device support
 o feature
 o resource requirements

XENIX/386 sucks a lot of performance out of any platform it is on.

UNIX 3.2 and ODT benefit GREATLY from the XENIX trip; ya gotta have more
box, for sure, (and bux :-), but ya get more too.