Xenix *is* Unix (WAS Re: ^3 What ....... Dell UNIX V.4)

Aris Stathakis aris at tabbs.UUCP
Fri Nov 30 05:12:40 AEST 1990

In <244 at n4hgf.Mt-Park.GA.US> wht at n4hgf.Mt-Park.GA.US (Warren Tucker) writes:

>In article <2390 at sixhub.UUCP> davidsen at sixhub.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>>In article <1990Nov23.184635.2568 at nstar.rn.com> larry at nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:
>>
>>| I disagree.  Xenix is good for installations with limited resources
>>| (286, 386sx or 16 mhz 386 with a couple megs of ram and MFM or RLL
>>
>>  In what way is needing fewer resources a drawback?

>Bill, you are so right.  XENIX bashers should realize, IMHO, they
>are still playing the cards dealt by IBM when they released the
>System III fiasco, surely trying to give *ix a bad name in the
>pedestrian market.  SCO XENIX is the most righteous thing going
>when you consider:

> o installed base
> o cost
> o device support
> o feature
> o resource requirements
>
>XENIX/386 sucks a lot of performance out of any platform it is on.

Absolutley!  SCO Xenix is a great platform.  Many are also under the
belief that SCO are trying to drop Xenix, which of course is total
hogwash.  In fact, there is a release 2.3.4 on the cards which will have
many new features i.e. korn shell, > 16MB ram support, and all the the
current sls fixes all built in.

SCO plan on selling (and supporting) Xenix for a LONG time to come.

Aris

--
Aris Stathakis | Bang: ..!uunet!ddsw1!olsa99!tabbs!aris or aris at tabbs.UUCP
- UNIX is like sex - if you've tried it, you can't get along without it. -