File system performance

David Dawes dawes at suphys.physics.su.OZ.AU
Sun Nov 11 21:42:39 AEST 1990

In article <1990Nov9.220931.2091 at everex.uucp> jde at everex.uucp (-Jeff Ellis()) writes:
>In article <1990Nov5.225213.11920 at unixland.uucp> bill at unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:
>>No, Esix has a 14 character limit on filename length.
>
>Yes and no. If the ESIX FFS partion is made with the -sysv option then
>you are limited to 14 characters. Otherwise its 256 characters. Our
>default in our install script is with the -sysv.

I have just been playing around with different ffs parameters.

I assume the install script you are referring to is /etc/diskadd.  It calls
/etc/ffs/newfs with the `-sysv' option.  I tried running

/etc/ffs/newfs -v /dev/rdsk/1s1

and it created a sysv (ie 14 char file names) file system.  I assume then that
-sysv is the default.  In this case what option should be used for bsd type
file names?  The -v options revealed that newfs was calling

/etc/ffs/mkfs -S -R 4 /dev/rdsk/1s1 [list of parameters]

I tried running this without -S, and got a bsd type file system.  What does
the -R 4 option do?  I couldn't see any difference between using it or omitting
it.

There seem to be a number of undocumented options for ffsmkfs, newfs.  Even
a few options shown in the SYNOPSIS part of the man page are not described.
Is it possible to get some more complete documentation?

>Jeff Ellis		ESIX SYSTEM/V  UUCP:uunet!zardoz!everex!jde
>			US Mail: 1923 St. Andrew Place, Santa Ana, CA 92705

David