Adaptec 1522 question

John G. DeArmond jgd at rsiatl.UUCP
Sun Nov 11 16:57:06 AEST 1990

This question is mostly aimed at Adaptec (Roy, you around?) but maybe
the rest of the net can help.

I was recently in a large chain PC store the other day trying to make an
emergency SCSI controller purchase.  The store had the usual ST-02s and the
like and then one of the people in the service department pulled out an
Adaptec board labeled AHA1522.  This is a half-card configuration with
a blue-million jumpers and a couple of ASIC chips.

The person in the service department said that they'd gotten some of
these cards to try but they were not going to handle them because Adaptec
would not provide them with documentation.  They had NOTHING for the board,
not even an owner's manual.

I've since talked to someone else who said that the card is register
compatable with the 1542 and Roy's utilities should run.  Not wanting to
risk my money, I passed on the deal.  So my question is:  What is this
card?  How does it compare to the 1542?  What is a good price for the card?

I told the person in the service department that I'd pose the question to
the net and see what you guys said.  I'd love to be able to go back and
tell them that the card is good stuff and give them a copy of Roy's
utilities to use with it.  It'd be nice to have a retail outlet here in
Atlanta that stocks this card for those little emergencies that arise.

Second, unrelated question:

The service manager at this store recommended a controller I've never heard
of.  Since they did not carry the controller, I have no reason to suspect
the advice but I'd still like to hear from others.  The controller is an
Always (brand) IN-2000.  The manager claimed that it out-performed the
Adaptec controller (which one?) in their tests and that it comes with
drivers for Interactive Unix, DOS and Novell.  He said that it is made
in America and is Good Stuff.  Anyone heard of this beast?

John

--
John De Armond, WD4OQC        | "Purveyors of Performance Products
Rapid Deployment System, Inc. |  to the Trade " (tm)