Problems with an Intel 486 chip

Kaleb Keithley kaleb at thyme.jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Nov 27 02:52:47 AEST 1990

haugen at bulus3.BMA.COM (John M. Haugen) writes:
>We have a batch of Intel 486 chips which we have been having some problems with.
>The chips have the marking "Q0129" on them.  These chips work for the most part
>with DOS applications but we see them fail when running Interactive Unix and
>SCO Unix and on occasion Microsoft Windows 3.0.
>
>For both versions of Unix, we see the kernal die with a page mode
>fault (Trap E). Interactive will panic into the debugger about once a day
>while SCO panics during the initial phase of booting from the N2 diskette.

I don't know about Q0129; when I bought mine, I was told it was a "B5"
and the only place I found B5 on the chip was on the bottom, which means
if you want to know what you've got, you'll have to pry the thing out
of its socket.  I've heard that there are B6 and C0 revs out.

As for my B5, I've been running Everex's ESIX SysV.3 for two months now
with no kernel panics, faults, or other strange occurances.

--
Kaleb Keithley                      Jet Propulsion Labs
kaleb at thyme.jpl.nasa.gov

I don't watch Twin Peaks; I just come to work.