Problems with an Intel 486 chip

John M. Haugen haugen at bulus3.BMA.COM
Thu Nov 22 03:55:08 AEST 1990

We have a batch of Intel 486 chips which we have been having some problems with.
The chips have the marking "Q0129" on them.  These chips work for the most part
with DOS applications but we see them fail when running Interactive Unix and
SCO Unix and on occasion Microsoft Windows 3.0.

For both versions of Unix, we see the kernal die with a page mode
fault (Trap E). Interactive will panic into the debugger about once a day
while SCO panics during the initial phase of booting from the N2 diskette.

For Microsoft Windows, we see the machine lock up in a similar manner.  I will
not vouch for it since I don't know that software as well.

Anyone else seen any problems like this with these chips and for that matter,
does anybody else have these chips?

John M. Haugen               Domain:  haugen at BMA.COM
Bull Micral of America       UUCP:    ...!uunet!bulus3!haugen
900 Long Lake Road           ATT:  612-633-5660
New Brighton, MN 55112-6400