X windows on SCO

Larry Philps larryp at sco.COM
Wed Nov 14 01:26:58 AEST 1990

In article <JSANTOS.90Nov1174145 at bubba.ma30.bull.com> jsantos at bubba.ma30.bull.com (Jim Santos) writes:

>Hi,
>	I have a couple of questions for all you X windows experts out
>there - especially those of you who are unlucky enough to be running
>it under SCO 3.2 (like me).

Sigh -- what a negative attitude :-)

>1) In the man page for Xsight, it says that you can give it the
>argument '-logo' to cause it to use a screen saver that displays the X
>window icon at various palces on the screen.  I do this by starting X
>via the command 'startx -- X :0 -logo -p 5'.  It has no effect (it still
>blanks to black).  But if I pass it a different argument, like '-save
>12', that argument works.  If I give it 'startx -- X :0 -logo -p -v
>off', it blanks out my application windows but not my root window and begins
>drawing X logos over my root window!  Am I doing something wrong or is
>there something wierd about the X server?  I realize this isn't a very
>urgent question, but it has made me curious.

That manual page for Xsight states that -v defaults to on, and that this
option overrides the -logo and -p options.  Thus the correct syntax is

	startx -- X :0 -logo -p 5 -v off

This works for me under Xsight 2.2.0, I don't know about older versions.

>2) What does one need to do to use xdm under SCO?  No matter what I do, I
>still get the regular login banner.  I read the man pages, I have the
>configuration files in /usr/lib/X11/xdm and still zippo.  I'm sure its
>something basic that I am doing wrong, but since I am kind of new to
>this...

Did you disable the tty you were going to use for X?  I am running xdm
on tty01.  First I disabled logins on tty01 by running

	# disable tty01

My /usr/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers file contains

	#
	#	server options set by xdm
	#
	:0 local /usr/bin/X11/X :0 -analog -crt /dev/tty01

and xdm works fine for me.

---
Larry Philps,	 SCO Canada, Inc (Formerly: HCR Corporation)
Postman:  130 Bloor St. West, 10th floor, Toronto, Ontario.  M5S 1N5
InterNet: larryp at sco.COM  or larryp%scocan at uunet.uu.net
UUCP:	 {uunet,utcsri,sco}!scocan!larryp
Phone:	 (416) 922-1937
Fax:	 (416) 922-8397