ESIX and MCA

John C. Archambeau jca at pnet01.cts.com
Thu Nov 22 12:56:05 AEST 1990

larry at nstar (Larry Snyder) writes:
>jca at pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) writes:
>
>>Keep in mind that the 386 isn't the only CPU that has Unix available for it.
>>I put that in my signature after finding out about Coherent's limitations.
>>Even got a nasty gram from someone from Mark Williams Company.  With respect
>
>Speaking of Coherent - I have a site who is interested in a small newsfeed
>and they are running Coherent - has bnews (or cnews)  been ported to Coherent?
>
>Does a smartmailer come with Coherent (sendmail clone?).

Read the Nov '90 issue of Byte.  UUCP is supposedly broken (or the reviewer in
Byte couldn't get it to work).  The Byte Labs Unix benchmarks compiled ok, but
wouldn't run.

Keep in mind that Coherent doesn't adhere to POSIX or SVID conventions so
porting code will be somewhat of a major undertaking.  There's no guarantee
anything will compile and run without any major modifications.  You MIGHT get
smail 2.5 to compile after pruning it, but good luck.

     // JCA

 /*
 ** Flames  : /dev/null                     | Small memory model only for
 ** ARPANET : crash!pnet01!jca at nosc.mil     | Unix?  Get the (*bleep*) out
 ** INTERNET: jca at pnet01.cts.com            | of here!
 ** UUCP    : {nosc ucsd hplabs!hd-sdd}!crash!pnet01!jca