Can 386SX run UNIX ?

Kaleb Keithley kaleb at thyme.jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Nov 16 02:57:50 AEST 1990

In article <1990Nov15.122135.28079 at metro.ucc.su.OZ.AU> wongl at extro.ucc.su.oz.au (Glenn N Woodland) writes:

>But one person told us that 386SX cannot run UNIX, whatever which version
>it is. Is this true? What's the reason behind it? Otherwise a 386 has to
>purchased instead.

This is utter hogwash.  A 386 is a 386 is a 386....

I ran ESIX on my 386SX for nine months while I saved my pennies to buy
a 486.  Intel reference manuals unequivocally state that SX and DX are
100% compatable.  Just don't expect to address beyond the 20-bit address
space of the SX.

--
Kaleb Keithley                      Jet Propulsion Labs
kaleb at thyme.jpl.nasa.gov

I don't watch Twin Peaks; I just come to work.