Can 386SX run UNIX ?

John Lawitzke jhl at frith.uucp
Sat Nov 17 00:01:10 AEST 1990

>From article <1990Nov15.155750.3539 at thyme.jpl.nasa.gov>, by kaleb at thyme.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley	):
$ In article <1990Nov15.122135.28079 at metro.ucc.su.OZ.AU> wongl at extro.ucc.su.oz.au (Glenn N Woodland) writes:
$>
$>But one person told us that 386SX cannot run UNIX, whatever which version
$>it is. Is this true? What's the reason behind it? Otherwise a 386 has to
$>purchased instead.
$>
$
$ This is utter hogwash.  A 386 is a 386 is a 386....

True. I've run SCO Xenix, SCO UNIX, Interactive UNIX, and Intel UNIX Sys
V Rel 4 on 16MHz 386SX's.

$ I ran ESIX on my 386SX for nine months while I saved my pennies to buy
$ a 486.  Intel reference manuals unequivocally state that SX and DX are
$ 100% compatable.  Just don't expect to address beyond the 20-bit address
$ space of the SX.

I believe you mean 24-bit address space.

--
j                               |%|John Lawitzke, Dale Computer Corp., R&D
Inquiring minds just wondering. |%|Internet: jhl at frith.egr.msu.edu