Unix & X-Windows on 386SX

Tin Le tin at smsc.sony.com
Wed Nov 28 04:25:00 AEST 1990

In article <2389 at sixhub.UUCP> davidsen at sixhub.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>In article <1990Nov23.182943.21094 at cs.dal.ca> newsome at ug.cs.dal.ca (SEX MANIAC IN TRAINING) writes:
>        [ he wants DOS under UNIX and X ]
>
>| Can anybody advise on the following:  1) The amount of Disk Space for the OS?
>| 2) The availability of Unix/Xenix etc from companies (ie who makes reliable
>| versions.) 3) Where can I get X-Windows systems and cost involved.  Hardware
>| required?
>
>  Two things come to mind, OpenDeskTop and Dell V.4. Therefore:
>
> [discusses ODT and Dell V.4...]
>
>  ODT features X11R3, an obsolete version of X which runs virtually
>nothing of the net software. DV4 currently lacks xmkmf, which makes
>porting anthing painful but possible.
                                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^

    xmkmf is just a simple shell script that calls imake with the
    correct flags.  I've seen people used alias (in csh) and shell
    functions (in sh/ksh) in place of xmkmf.

csh alias:

	alias xmkmf 'imake -DUseInstalled -I/usr/lib/X11/config'

k/sh function:

	xmkmf() { imake -DUseInstalled -I/usr/lib/X11/config }

    Of course, you need to edit the '-I' flag to point to the correct
    directory if your site has the X11 config directory in another
    place.

    For those of you who want the "real"(TM) xmkmf, here it is.

#--------------------------------------------------------------------
#!/bin/sh

#
# generate a Makefile from an Imakefile from inside or outside the sources!
#

usage="usage:  $0 [top_of_sources_pathname [current_directory]]"

topdir=
curdir=.

case $# in
    0) ;;
    1) topdir=$1 ;;
    2) topdir=$1  curdir=$2 ;;
    *) echo "$usage" 1>&2; exit 1 ;;
esac

case "$topdir" in
    -*) echo "$usage" 1>&2; exit 1 ;;
esac

if [ -f Makefile ]; then
    echo mv Makefile Makefile.bak
    mv Makefile Makefile.bak
fi

if [ "$topdir" = "" ]; then
    args="-DUseInstalled "-I/usr/lib/X11/config
else
    args="-I$topdir/config -DTOPDIR=$topdir -DCURDIR=$curdir"
fi

echo imake $args
imake $args

-- Tin

--
. Tin Le                    Work Internet: tin at smsc.Sony.COM
. Work: (408) 944-4157      Home Internet: tin at szebra.uu.net