ESIX and MCA

James Van Artsdalen james at bigtex.cactus.org
Mon Nov 12 03:51:02 AEST 1990

In <5531 at crash.cts.com>, jca at pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) wrote:

> After EISA has become more established, then I will consider going
> EISA,l but not until then.  What scares me about the EISA bus is that
> there are still a LOT of quirks with EISA machines.  HP's 486 with
> EISA bus will ONLY work with HP's EISA cards.  I don't want to be a
> lab rat.  MCA has proven itself to me, and I want a proven design for
> this machine.

EISA machines have been around for a while now, and seem to work quite
well.  I'd be very surprised if HP can't run off-the-shelf EISA cards.
Such things do exist in enough quantity to test a bus implementation.
Also, there don't appear to be so many quirks in EISA machines I have
seen.

MCA is obviously mature at this point, but not nearly as well
supported (since it has this mechanical quirk that prevents ISA cards
from inserting :-).

Dell unix is guaranteed to support Dell EISA machines.
--
James R. Van Artsdalen          james at bigtex.cactus.org   "Live Free or Die"
Dell Computer Co    9505 Arboretum Blvd Austin TX 78759         512-338-8789