Protecting against downloads

Larry Snyder larry at nstar.uucp
Tue Sep 18 22:04:50 AEST 1990

heiser at tdw201.ed.ray.com writes:

>What's a "public access unix" without shell access?  I want to provide
>access for all of the reasons you mentioned here.  If I wanted to
>continue to ONLY allow access via a menu-driven program, I'd have no
>reason to switch from my current dos bbs.

come now - with unix (running waffle) you can spawn anything - one user
can be in wordperfect, while another in foxbase, etc.  Waffle makes it
very easy to spawn applications by users - yet maintains system security.

shell access can be risky - we have no shell access here at nstar, and
for security reasons we intend to keep it that way.

there are lots of reasons to switch from (what was that OS, D0S?) -
get serious

 {larry at nstar, uunet!sco!romed!nstar!larry, nstar!larry at ndmath.math.nd.edu}
                          usenet newsfeeds available
         Public Access Unix Site (219) 289-0282 (5 high speed lines)