Protecting against downloads

Riccardo Pizzi pizzi at esacs.UUCP
Tue Sep 18 18:37:26 AEST 1990

In article <2441 at sud509.ed.ray.com>, heiser at tdw201.ed.ray.com writes:

> What's a "public access unix" without shell access?  I want to provide
> access for all of the reasons you mentioned here.  If I wanted to
> continue to ONLY allow access via a menu-driven program, I'd have no
> reason to switch from my current dos bbs.

I do not agree. I used to run a DOS BBS for about 1 year and had a lot
of troubles with that dozen of third-party programs that are needed to
setup a good dos bbs that is fidomail-capable. There are a *lot* of reasons
to switch to a unix bbs, for example if you run more than one access
line, or if you don't want to devote 100% of your machine to the bbs users.
(Yes, I know that there are plenty of dos multitaskers out, but they would
just multiply your troubles).
I am now writing my own software, and I plan to distribute it when it's
ready. Everybody can take a look at it by calling 0039-541-27858 (Telebit)
or 0039-541-27135 (USR HST). The program is news & fido-compatible and has a
lot of nice features, but sorry,  it is not ready yet.
If somebody would like to get some info on the software's capabilities,
drop me a line and I'll post a message here.

Ciao

Rick, ITALY
--
Riccardo Pizzi @ ESA Software srl - ITALY