ISC 2.2.1, Exabyte + IDE disk

Joseph Berry berry at socrates.umd.edu
Mon Jul 1 06:01:47 AEST 1991

indermau at cs.umn.edu (Kurt Indermaur) writes:

>P.S. Is there any way to get around the maximum ULIMIT of 12288 that I've
>     run into in ISC's kconfig? (I need to be able to handle files up to
>     about 10Meg in size, and it would be nice to be able to do it as a
>     user other than root).

Sorry, I can't help you about the disk problem, but I think I can steer
you in the right direction about your ulimit problem.  Changing ulimit on
ISC requires two changes: one in the normal location (ie, sdevices or mdevices
I can't offhand remember which) PLUS a file called /etc/default/login.
Unfortunately, I dont have my system conveniently near as I'm typing this.
I believe there's a file in /etc with the letters "login" somewhere in the
file name.  It defines various login type limitations such as whether or
not root can log on from another location other than the console.  BTW,
this IS documented in the system guide manual.  Reference page 63 (section
1.4.5) of the Version 2.2.1 Release Notes.

Good luck,

Joe Berry
Strategic Software Group