Somebody . . . Eureka!

terry linhardt terry at jgaltstl.UUCP
Mon May 27 06:48:38 AEST 1991

> 2)  We do not always have someone present w/ super-user privs, and need to run
>     'shutdown' from a few other accounts.  Could someone please recommend a way
>     to shutdown the system down without superuser privilages? The 'shutdown'
>     with this sytem (SCO XENIX 2.3.2) will only work from a super-user privs-
>     even when the file ownership is changed at the command line.
>
> Comments appreciated.

Some people don't like this approach, but you could just have a
special login which does only one thing, which is to run the
shutdown program. A typical passwd entry would be as follows:

       shutdown:x:0:150:shutdown login:/:/etc/shutdown

Although whoever executed this program would have root priviledges,
the person logged in as shutdown would never get a shell and instead
be presented with a login prompt as soon as the shutdown program
terminated.
|  Terry Linhardt      The Lafayette Group      uunet!jgaltstl!terry  |