Somebody . . . Eureka!

Bill Vermillion Bill.Vermillion at sunbrk.FidoNet.Org
Sat May 25 11:47:50 AEST 1991

In article <1991May18.051251.1438 at stb.info.com> andyb at stb.info.com (Andy B.) writes:

>crawford at ENUXHA.EAS.ASU.EDU (Brian Crawford) writes:

>> 2) We do not always have someone present w/ super-user privs, and need to run
>>   'shutdown' from a few other accounts.  Could someone please recommend a way
>>    to shutdown the system down without superuser privilages? The 'shutdown'
>>    with this sytem (SCO XENIX 2.3.2) will only work from a super-user privs-
>>    even when the file ownership is changed at the command line.

>I've never done it but, how about putting a wrapper around the
>shutdown command?  Then whomever you want to run shutdown, can own
>the wrapper, and the wrapper can give them the right priveledges
>for the duration of the command.

For starters LOOK at the shutdown command.  It's a script on the SCO Xenix
systems (don't know about SCO Unix).

There is a line that tests for login-in and if it's running at the console.

Clone the script, modify it, and run it that way.  A wrapper won't do it
from what I can see.

--
Bill Vermillion - UUCP: ...!tarpit!bilver!bill
                      : bill at bilver.UUCP

 * Origin: Seaeast - Fidonet<->Usenet Gateway - sunbrk (1:343/15.0)