Getting FAS to work with 3.2.2

Tim Wright tim at dell.co.uk
Thu May 9 20:42:49 AEST 1991

In <1991May8.193158.7383 at cbnewsl.att.com> urban at cbnewsl.att.com (john.urban) writes:

[stuff about not being able to load FAS on 3.2.2 deleted]

>AT&T UNIX System V/386  Release 3.2 Version 2.2 'supports' ELF binaries in
>a limited way.  However the kernel boot code only supports only a COFF kernel
>and not a ELF or COFF/ELF kernel.  Also the Installabel Driver/Tuneable Parameter
>feature only supports COFF Driver.os.

>Therefore, inorder to get FAS to work on AT&T UNIX System V/386 Release 3.2
>Version 2.2, you must have a SCDE 4.1.5 or SCDE 4.1.6.

>AT&T does offer a CI5/3 which is a ELF compiler for UNIX System V/386 Release
>3.2 Version 2.2, but if you create Driver.o's with this you will not be able to
>link-edit them into you 3.2.2 kernel.

Thanks for the information. I knew 3.2.2 "supported" ELF binaries because I
have the version of Oracle for 3.2.2 which with one extra floppy is the
version of Oracle for V.4 !
I hadn't realised it was such a bastardised product - ELF binaries supported
but not for the kernel - Yeuchh !!!!!
Oh well - live and learn :-)

Tim
Tim Wright, Dell Computer Corp., Bracknell    |  Domain: tim at dell.co.uk
Berkshire, UK, RG12 1RW. Tel: +44-344-860456  |  Uucp: ...!ukc!delluk!tim
Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast - Red Dwarf