Using cu with rz/sz? Can't be done?

Leslie Mikesell les at chinet.chi.il.us
Fri May 17 02:16:02 AEST 1991

In article <1991May15.221705.26920 at unixland.uucp> bill at unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:

>I use pcomm occasionally on my Esix (sysvr3) system.  It's OK, but
>not quite like the DOS Procomm it emulates (not nearly as snappy).

If you have vp/ix and are willing to give it the port (it won't co-exist
with uugetty), you can just run DOS procomm or Telix.

>I also use it to configure modems...  but it's a paain because it
>changes register settings during the init.  I guess I could set up
>a modem setting line without anything on it, or maybe an at Z...
>What do the rest of you use for easy communications with your modems
>for setting registers, etc?

I modified a version of kermit to leave CLOCAL set if I used
"set modem unknown".  But if kermit5 ever gets released it will
have "set carrier ignore" as a built-in command.  (The pre-beta
version is in the kermit/sw/ directory on watsun.cc.colubmia.edu.
Windowing, long packets, a real script language, network support,
etc. - looks pretty nice)

But, I've had enough trouble with modems that I just make a special entry
in Devices and Dialers so I can make cu throw the setup commands
at them using the "modem-class" letter to pick the right set.
This particular pair will set up an ATI 2400etc to V.42 mode with
the interface locked at 4800 baud whenever I do a cu -sI4800 dummy_number.

In Devices:
ACU tty12,M - I4800 iati
          |   ^modem class letter (many of these can exist for the same device)
   Ignore CD on open

In Dialers:
iati  =,- "" \M\pAT&F2 OK ATE0&C1&D3&S0S0=1S7=60 OK\r ATQ1&W0 OK \EATDT\T CON \m\c

You can actually do some fairly arbitrary scripting with this technique,
but you do have to duplicate the Devices entry for every possible dialer
script you might want to use on that device.

Les Mikesell
  les at chinet.chi.il.us